A smile is a valuable asset and an important physical expression of a person’s personality. A person’s smile says a lot about their character and confidence. But to smile with confidence, your teeth need to be in good shape. If you are shy about smiling, it’s time to think about improving your teeth with the help of your cosmetic dentist and some clever dentistry techniques.
The art of dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry is becoming very popular, and can be considered the “arty” side of dentistry. The cosmetic dentist must have a good eye, a thorough understanding of dental structure and composition, and have mastered the use of latest dental materials. The cosmetic dentist must be able to clearly communicate the plan of action to his or her patients so that they know what kind of results to expect.
Restorative or cosmetic dentistry?
Restorative dentistry fixes problems that might make you lose teeth or have trouble eating. Your teeth may well look better afterwards, but the primary aim is maintaining dental health.
Cosmetic dentistry looks at procedures that, while they may not be absolutely necessary to your dental health, will improve the way you feel about your teeth.
It involves all the teeth that don’t quite look right, the color of the teeth and the evenness of gums. The tiniest detail is taken into consideration, for instance how much of a tooth should be seen when the patient smiles, the shape of the lips and face, and more.
Procedures in cosmetic dentistry include:
- Whitening: Teeth become stained especially by smoking, certain medication, coffee and tea. Your dentist can do the bleaching of your teeth in the chair, or provide you with products you won’t get at regular stores so that you can do it yourself at home.
- Bonding: Is used to fill small gaps, fix chips, or protect exposed roots. It can be done in a single visit to the dentist and could last for years.
- Composite and porcelain veneers: are thin shells of tooth-colored material to substitute enamel and cover a variety of dental flaws.
- Porcelain Crowns: cover severely damaged teeth.
- Porcelain Bridges: missing teeth can be replaced by bridgework attached to teeth on either side of the gap.
- Implants: titanium is used to replace the root of tooth that was lost. A crown is fitted into the implant to create a natural-looking tooth.
- Minor Gum Surgery: is used to reshape gum tissue to create an even look.
- Teeth Reshaping and Contouring: by drilling or using a laser, teeth can be re-shaped.
Choosing a cosmetic dentist
When you consider a smile makeover, make sure you choose the best cosmetic dentist in your area. Ask for before and after photos as examples of what he or she has done for other patients. After your check-up, listen carefully to your dentist and ask any questions that come to mind. This discussion will tell you a lot about whether you can work with the dentist to get the superstar smile you always wanted.